Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wikipedia

Wikipedia seems to be the most popular source to go to for information. While some information may be correct, other information may not have been checked for accuracy. According to NPR, "It isn't illegal. The whole point of the online encyclopedia is that it is collaborative and multi-sourced. Wikipedia calls itself "the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit," which is another way of saying it is not fact-checked."
While in highschool, I always believed Wikipedia to be a trustworthy and reliable source. However, when I reached college, I found out from many of my professors didnt like Wikipedia as a source because of its easiness to alter without checking to see if the facts were true. I do not use it as a source now, nor will I allow my future students to use it in my assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment